Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roasted Fennel with Parmesan and Lemon

Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.

- George Benard Shaw. What a beautiful quote. Seriously clicked. You don't have to search, you just have to be. Be yourself. Have fun. Do what you love and try new things. Be spontaneous. 


For me, this semester has been of discovery, rediscovery, and living in the moment. When you do what you love, nothing is a chore and giving your all is what you want to do. I want to cook, and this blog has been fun. I rediscovered swimming and threw myself whole-heartedly into my workouts. I started lifting and running in the mornings, swimming in the evenings, and I feel stronger, more energetic, and happy. I still find time to ride and dedicate myself to the discipline of dressage. I enjoy my school projects, go on hikes with friends, and lay in the grass on lazy afternoons. It's a good semester, and a fantastic end to my college career.

I'm a planner. I make lists, create countdowns, and enjoy order. But recently I've taken to being living without a to-do list, without a plan, and letting the days take me where they will. It's worked out so far. Met up for a sushi dinner with a very dear, long-lost friend. Let a guy buy me a drink. Went to a grill-out and bonfire with a group of people I barely knew. Booked a trip to Scotland. Danced to live music. And tried fennel - clearly the most exciting of these. Every spontaneous decision has worked out wonderfully. I smile about all of them. 

Picture doesn't do it justice; I didn't have good lighting
Fennel is a vegetable that tastes surprisingly like licorice. I am not a fan of licorice, but when I saw they were on sale I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did! This dish is simple, and roasting the fennel mellowed the licorice flavor. It's savory yet slightly sweet, and the parmesan and lemon compliment the flavor nicely. I hope you'll go out on a limb and try this recipe too - you won't regret it!

Roasted Fennel with Parmesan and Lemon
Ingredients:
2 bulbs fennel
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
Parmesan cheese
*Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

  1. Preheat the oven to 355F.
  2. Slice the fennel bulbs into rings about 1/3" thick, discarding the top and bottom rings ("the butts", as I call them).
  3. Toss the fennel rings and olive oil in a bowl, stirring to coat evenly.
  4. Shake into a roasting pan,  trying to make sure they're spread into one layer. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Bake at 355F for 45 minutes, more or less.
  6. Once finished roasting, throw on some parmesan cheese and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Yum!
*End Note:
To save the leftover lemon for later use, simply wet a paper towel, cover the cut/open end of the lemon and place towel-side down in a small, air tight bowl. Keep in the fridge for up to a week for the next use.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this blog this past semester, and this post is a nice way to sum everything up. Glad I could be a part of this wonderful time in your life, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!