Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sauteed Parsnips and Carrots

Literally just finished eating these and had to blog immediately--they really hit the spot!


What is a parsnip? It's a white carrot. Okay, that's simplifying things, but more or less that's what it is. They're slightly sweeter than carrots and just as versatile. 

Exciting, right?
I'm an avid roaster--I roast everything from asparagus to broccoli to peppers to tomatoes to sweet potatoes to yada yada yada. You name it, I roast it. So today I decided to go a new route and try sauteing. I went even more out of my box and used butter, not oil, and man, butter is so good! Haha Midwestern roots showing, but seriously, using butter made the dish so decadent. Be sure to have a glass of milk at the ready.

The original recipe called for rosemary, but I didn't have any so I used fresh thyme. The dish was very aromatic--my kitchen smelled great. When I added the honey, the sweet smell took over, so next time I may use brown sugar instead to caramelize the root veggies; however, the actual honey flavor wasn't strong, and the dish turned out great regardless.

I just eyeballed all of the ingredients. Cut up the parsnips and carrots into similar thickness, preferably on the thinner side as they'll cook quicker (a must after swimming "I need to eat NOW"). You don't need much butter, 1 tablespoon was plenty for 4 parsnips and a handful of baby carrots. With the honey, just a light drizzle is needed. Your guess is as good as mine with the thyme. 

Sauteed Parsnips and Carrots
Ingredients
Parsnips and carrots, tops removed and sliced into thin strips
1 tablespoon butter
fresh thyme
honey

  1. In a medium skillet over medium/medium high heat, melt the butter.
  2. Add the parsnips and carrots in a single layer, coating with butter and sprinkling with the thyme.
  3. Saute until they begin to become tender.
  4. Drizzle with honey and caramelize the veggies until tender.




Hope you all enjoy! Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!