Baked Cod with a Tomato Feta Sauce
4 (6oz) fillets white fish (cod, tilapia, mahi mahi, halibut, whatever's on sale)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow/sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
chili pepper flakes, to taste
1/4 cup white wine (I used a chardonnay)
1 teaspoon oregano
2 - 2 1/2 pounds fresh tomato, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/2 cup feta for sauce plus more for topping
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5 -7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper and sauté until aromatic (roughly 1 minute).
- Add wine and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano, and simmer covered for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and add the parsley, dill, and feta. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the fish in a 13 x 9 pan and pour the sauce over the fish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily and is no longer opaque.
- Serve with crusty bread to soak up at that nommy sauce. Nom Nom NOMMMM