For step by step pictures, visit this blog, where I got the idea:
CosmoCookie Blog: Rainbow Cupcakes
1 package french vanilla or white cake mix
(Plus any ingredients mentioned on the back: oil, eggs, water)
Food dye - at least three colors
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with aluminum muffin cups.
- Make the cake batter according to instructions. Separate evenly into at least three bowls. I used four bowls and had about a cup and a quarter batter per bowl.
- Add food dye to each of the bowls and stir. Be careful not to mix utensils or you'll change the color. Have fun making your own colors!
- Using a spoon, place one spoonful of batter (Color A) at the bottom of each muffin tin. Clean your spoon and then place one spoonful of batter (Color B) on top of those layers. Continue with the rest of your colors until the tins are about 2/3 full. DO NOT STIR THE COLORS. See the link above for step by step pics if your confused.
- Bake at 350 for roughly 18 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test.
- Unwrap, bite in, and be amazed!