Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chili Cheese Egg Puff

I cannot believe today is my last day of undergrad classes. To be totally honest, it doesn't feel any different. I think I'm in denial. I love school. I love learning. I'm a total nerd. Whatever. Last class in an hour with a fantastic professor and a best friend. Good way to roll out.

Anyway, with only a week left in my Bloomington apartment, I've been finding ways to cook all the leftover food in my fridge. I needed breakfast for a week that was quick (read microwaveable). This egg dish is awesome hot or cold, and goes great with my increasing coffee addiction. I used to be able to get away with two cups, but lately I've been pouring a third. And considering a fourth. 


Mom made this dish for the first time at Christmas this year. It's lighter than the traditional egg casserole we normally bake Christmas morning. I think it has more cheese than eggs but I'm not complaining. When it's fresh out of the oven it's light and airy, but it becomes denser once you refrigerate it. The chiles add a little zing but no kick, so for those of you that fear spice, no worries, this dish is pretty mild.  I halved the original recipe; this serves five and is made in an 8x8" pan. The full would be made in a 9x13" and serves 10. Also, I made this dish the night before then refrigerated it overnight to save time in the morning. Make your life easier.



Mrs. Shap's Green Chili Egg Puff
Ingredients
5 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 (4oz) can green chilis
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the five eggs.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring thoroughly to mix.
  4. Sift the dry ingredients into the eggs, whisking together until well-combined.
  5. Add the Monterey Jack, cottage cheese, butter, and chilis. Whisk to combine.
  6. Pour egg mixture into an 8" x 8" baking dish. Bake at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes, until the middle is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!