Monday, February 27, 2012

Caramelized Roasted Broccoli

I eat these bad boys at least twice a week. Minimum. 
They're delicious, and so quick.

After a childhood of steamed broccoli or broccoli and cheese a la Green Giant, Mom first made this roasted broccoli, maybe, six years ago. It blew my mind then. It still blows my mind today. Roasting with a touch of sugar caramelizes the broccoli-so that brown part I used to pass off as burnt? Now the best part. The tiny little guys that are all brown and crispy - ugh, making my mouth water now. 


This is a recipe I've made so much, I don't really know the measurements, so take my suggestions as they are--suggestions. Adjust to your taste. Also, I like to add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end, but no worries if you haven't got any lemons. 

Roasted Caramelized Broccoli
Ingredients
1 small head of broccoli
1 tablespoon of olive oil (go on the light side of a tablespoon, you can always add more)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Fresh squeeze of lemon
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F or 425F (depends on my patience).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine oil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well. (Do this first so that when you add the broccoli, they will get evenly coated.)
  3. Cut up the broccoli into strips/mini trees. Use the stalk! Add broccoli to the bowl and stir to toss well. At first they won't seem to be coated; keep mixing--it'll get there.
  4. Roast in a pan or on a cookie sheet for around 12 minutes. Place the broccoli cut-side-down, as this is what will caramelize and you will definitely want to maximize caramelizing coverage.
  5. Remove and allow to cool slightly; squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!