Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dijon Roasted...Brussels Sprouts?

As I write this blog, my arch enemy, brussels sprouts, are roasting away in the oven. (My computer just autocorrected me; who knew there were five s's in brussel*S* sprouts?) Back to the arch-enemy. I despise Brussels sprouts. Ick. My siblings and I would groan anytime Mom made them. Truth be told, Mom hated them too, but Dad likes them, so they randomly made an appearance at the table. It was always awful. 

But today, I'm giving them a chance. I recently saw a recipe that looked slightly appealing--crispy roasted sprouts in a lemon garlic dipping sauce. So I bought the brussels sprouts and have in the meantime lost the recipe. Nuts. So, we're skipping the garlic dipping sauce. And since I'm super skeptical about Brussels sprouts, I added a Dijon mustard sauce. I'll let you know the verdict...


...MOM, I'VE DONE IT. Brussels sprouts have been made that do not initiate the gag reflex. They're crispy and mustardy and don't taste like brussels sprouts. These are pretty darn good. I'll even make them again. 

Dijon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients
Some Brussels Sprouts
Dijon mustard
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

  1. Acknowledge the fact that you are about to cook brussels sprouts and pledge to keep an open mind.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  3. Prepare the brussels sprouts by cutting off the stem and removing the dark, outer leaves. then quarter the sprouts into wedges.
  4. In a bowl, mix together Dijon mustard and olive oil, keeping the ratio about 2:1 (in favor of the olive oil). I used a cereal spoon and did two big scoops of Dijon and about four of the olive oil. 
  5. Stir in the sprouts wedges until well-coated. Spread in one layer, cut-side down, on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Bake at 400 for roughly 15 minutes. Hopefully you'll be surprised (and satisfied) with the taste!
Okay, so they still look gross. They're brussels sprouts. I'm no miracle worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!