Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ceviche

I'm a huge ceviche fan, especially during the hot summer months. So for last night's grill out, I had to make this. Ceviche, for those who haven't had it, is a light fish dish that's generally served on circular tostadas for dinner or gringa-style with Tostidos scoops as an appetizer. The fish is "cooked" by the acid from the citrus juices. It's perfectly safe, despite my mom's objections. And your tastebuds will definitely thank you. 


Ceviche comes in a million forms, and even mine changes a bit every time I make it. People vary the type of fish, the citrus, and the additional ingredients depending on the region they're from. I'm not loyal to any fish in particular, just whatever white fish is on sale at the mart, typically a cod or tilapia. I like including the mango and avocado for sweetness. Sometimes I'll add red pepper for a bit of crunch.  I vary the amount of spice depending on who I'm serving; I'd recommend making a batch with 1/2 jalapeño and adding more to adjust if you'd like your ceviche a bit spicier. 


Quick, easy, and light - the perfect summer afternoon treat.


 Ceviche del Estilo Mamichel
Ingredientes
1/2 lb white fish, diced into 1/4 or 1/8" cubes
4 limes
1 lemon
1 orange
1 clove garlic, minced
1 handful cilantro, minced
1/2 or 1 jalepeño, diced (depends on how spicy you'd like it)
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 medium tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 small ripe mango, diced








  1.  In a medium bowl, juice all of your citrus and mix in fish. The juice should just cover your fish. Add more liquid if necessary by juicing more limes. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, dice everything except the mango and avocado into 1/4 or 1/8" pieces.
  3. Add the diced garlic, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and tomato to fish. Allow to marinade at least 2 hours prior to eating.
  4. Within an hour of serving, dice and add your mango and avocado. Combine well with the rest of the fish mixture. Chill.
  5. Season with salt and pepper and serve cold, with chips or tostadas. Enjoy!
*"Del estilo mamichel" refers to an old nickname; my mexican friends used to call me La Mamichel, as in "mami & michel". Trivia, in Spain, I went by Miche (pronounced: mee-chay) and loved it. If only I was latin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!