Saturday, December 17, 2011

Persimmon Pomegranate Salad

Finals are over and my life is not. Success story.

They actually went pretty well, so I'm a happy camper. But I'd be a happy camper either way because I'm home. And the first 24 hours have been so good, {so good so good!}
(A) The journey home with Lee and sleepy Keaton was wonderful as always. Thanks for putting up with my eclectic mix of both music and road rage.
(B) Snow. Snow, snow, snow! I'm talking about a White Christmas.
(C) Poodle wrestling. Poodle spooning. Poodle kissing. Jazzy Girl and Bailey, you have my heart.

Got in last night and did nothing. It was glorious. Today was more productive. Got new contacts--oh, Sight, you are such a blessing. Also, after doing an unintentional (although not an uncool) 180 around the 7/11 gas pumps, my Jeep got new tires. Started decorating the Christmas tree while listening to Josh Groban's liquid pipes. His Christmas CD is amazing.

However being home also leads to some extreme eating. After my Nutella binge earlier this week and the cookie decorating last night, I decided to lighten up with my favorite fall salad. Tart and sweet and featuring some of my favorite fall fruit, I hope you like it!


Persimmon Pomegranate Salad, adapted from The Cilantropist blog
Serves two

Ingredients:
     1 large pomegranate
     1 or 2 Fuyu persimmons
     Mix of baby romaine and arugula leaves
     Strips of turkey breast (this is great for Thanksgiving leftovers)


For dressing:
     2 tablespoons POM juice
     1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
     3 teaspoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
     About 3 tsp clover honey (or to taste for sweetness)
     Salt and pepper


Procedure:

  1. Remove seeds from the pomegranate. To do so without getting "bloody" hands, fill a large bowl with water and remove seeds under its surface. Drain water and dry seeds.
  2. Slice the persimmon, removing the top and slicing the rest into moderately thin strips.
  3. Mix your romaine and arugula leaves. 
  4. Arrange the persimmon, turkey, and pom seeds on top of the leaves.
  5. To make your dressing, simply whisk all the ingredients together, and pour immediately over the salad. 


Enjoy, and welcome home to everybody finishing up finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! Let me know what you think of this post, if you've tried the recipe, or have a dish request. Thanks!